Madras or Chennai the Detroit of Asia
Chennai is Not Just a Name! Some reasons that Why Chennai is an Emotion for People. Chennai initially called as Chennapatnam named by Damarla Chennappa Nayak, father of the ruling chieftain of the area, Venkatapathy Nayak.
- Chennai is almost 378 Years OLD CITY.
- Chennai is the second oldest corporation in the world after London. It was started in 1687.
3. SIPCOT IT Park (Siruseri) is the Asia’s largest IT Park
4. YMCA college is the Asia’s first college for “Physical Education” and it was established in 1920.
5. Kathipara flyover in Guindy is the largest Clover leaf shaped flyover in Asia.
6. Chennai is the only city in South Asia and India to figure in the “52 places to go around the world” by The New York Times.
7. LIC building which was completed in 1959 was the tallest building in India at that time.(Last for 2 years).
8. Madras High Court building is the second largest judicial complex in world after the one in London.
9. Royapuram railway station is the oldest railway station currently operational in India.
10. Chennai is the automobile hub of India.
11. The Cancer Institute (1920) is one of the oldest established research centers in India.
12. The Vandalur Zoo in Chennai was the first in India and one of the largest in South Asia.
13. Chennai has the second longest beach in the world (Marina Beach).
14. The Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus (CMBT) at Koyambedu is the leading bus terminal in Asia.
15. Higginbothams” book shop on Mount Road is the first and oldest existing book shop in India which was started in 1844.